Image01
Image02
Image03
Image04
Image05


Monday, November 19, 2018

Your History in Anime

Since KingsSideCastle told everyone about how this blog was created, I decided to ask you all: what is your history in anime like how did it impact your life and will you continue enjoying anime as of now? I will tell you a brief history on how I got into anime.

Prior to all of this affection for anime, I was watching different cartoons from Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, they were pretty cool too and I had plenty of memories of both channels from Dexter's Lab to Rugrats. I was thought cartoons were funny and silly at times when I was a kid.

And then it all began with two series that were once syndication and then Toonami in 1998: Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon. I was like "Wow, this is so awesome!" in my mind when I was around 7. I was hooked with both series and led to more story-driven shows later in my life. DBZ was my choice for action boys while Sailor Moon was my choice for action girls, both became a standard for my action stuff. I didn't know a thing of manga in general until high school despite the fact, they were animated adaptations of manga. I still remembered both opening theme songs and background music because they were pumped in adrenaline. As time went on for me, I watched more anime like Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Beyblade during elementary and middle school in the early 2000s along with some cartoons. By the time I went to high school in 2005, Naruto came out on Toonami, it was like another Dragon Ball but with ninjas, I recorded several episodes and movies on VHS tapes as they aired so I can watch them later, I never gotten rid of those tapes. I did the same for a few shows like Bakugun and Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (tehehe, I had gotten some foot scenes from May and Dawn on tape).

Also, my taste for anime was changing after discovering UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie in 2006 and again 2007, it was a sign of things to come for me. After Toonami had been cancelled in 2008, I started to watch anime in Japanese in English subtitles on Youtube, but it became a standard for me until 2010 like Sora Kake Girl and use my PSP to watch shows. I started to collect different otaku magazines and an guide of anime terminology like ONA (Original Net Animation) to making mouse pads from different anime and manga characters. Time passed, I started to record shows on DVD like Keikaishi and episodes from Gundam 00 (my first Gundam series in general). I went on to college and the Dragon Ball franchise was still kicking on TV with DBZ Kai but my memories on Sailor Moon were fading away since the show was cancelled after SuperS on Toonami in 2000. I wouldn't get back to Sailor Moon until I heard that Viz Media was re-dubbing the entire series along with Crystal last year. Dragon Ball was still airing on television with Super and Kai: The Final Chapters last year. This year alone was a bit of a trip with ups and down, like at the start of the year, before I could dive back to Sailor Moon again after missing in action for over a decade, I had to prepare myself by watching different magical girl shows I missed out when they were released from Cardcaptor Sakura to the original Pretty Cure to see any gave me something good and unique. I checked out Sailor Moon Crystal to refresh my memory on the story before finally going back to the original 90s series. By this time, my anime watching time was in full swing in the spring and summer. As for this post, I had only seen the first three seasons of the original Sailor Moon and the first two movies and specials.

Before I joined Anime Feet, I was in high school, I discovered this blog by accident because I thought the feet from female characters look low quality before getting better and better. So I decided to create my own Gmail so I can register, as part of the team, my focus on bringing back old stuff that were missing while getting new characters to keep things fresh.

I know both anime and cartoons most of my life and I do appreciate both of them are coolness despite my frustration in some of them. I have to say if it wasn't for Toonami, I wouldn't gotten into anime in the first place, since I started watching Casshern Sins and later Hunter x Hunter. During the summer of this year, watching both Dragon Ball Super and Sailor Moon on the same day, I was reminded on how insanely got hooked with both series since the main two anime that were gateway series.

I'm sorry that I dragged on for too long but this is how I remember my past with anime.

4 comments:

  1. The glory years of Pokemon, Digimon, Cardcaptors, and Yu-Gi-Oh in the late 90s to early 2000s were the best. I was already transitioning to my first year in high school when Yu-Gi-Oh debuted for the first time on US TV. Anime feet wasn't a thing for me until about 2005 and I always preferred it if they were shown naturally, not posing (that kills it for me really). To this day, it's good to look back on these shows and that the quality of later anime titles slowly matured in content compared to those past ones. Female anime feet have now become well-detailed overtime, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first exposure to anime was when I visited Thailand as a child. I think the first anime I remember seeing was Ninja Hattori and Dragon Ball.

    I started watching anime here later on in my teens when it began to get a little bit more popular. I think the first series I remember seeing was Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. Later on I began watching Pokemon and Yugioh too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see. I had never traveled out of the country. Only Dragon Ball Z And Sailor Moon are my first exposures to anime.

      Delete